WE ARE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS BY EMAIL UNTIL MARCH 24, 2023
Job Profile: Trail Builder
The Salmo Valley Trail Society (SVTS) is a non-profit organization dedicated to developing, maintaining and promoting non-motorized trails and trail networks for the Salmo valley. We have received funding to operate a paid trail crew for the 2023 season. This crew will consist of a Trail Construction Manager and up to five trail builder positions of varying length and responsibility. Trail Builders are employees of the SVTS. They will work under the direction of the Trail Construction Manager as part of the SVTS trail crew. They will work as part of a team building hiking, biking and multi-use trails in and around the Salmo valley. Trail projects include maintenance and new construction of hiking, biking multi-use trails.
Hours: Full time seasonal position consisting of full time work (40 hours a week) beginning May 8 and running for 17 weeks until September 1. The crew will take either the week before or after the August long weekend off.
Pay: Hourly wage of $20-22/hour. Mileage rates available if a personal vehicle used to access project sites.
How to apply: Submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until Friday March 24th at 4pm, interviews and hiring will take place the following week. Questions can be directed to the same email.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Hand building multi-use, hiking and biking trails using accepted current practices and standards including:
– Chainsaw and brush saw clearing
– Digging and picking trail bed surface
– Building corners and retaining walls from natural materials
– Building bridges
– Trail surface finishing
– Follow safe working practices and keep a safe working environment
– OFA Level 1 First Aid –
– Some trail building experience preferred
– Previous experience working in wilderness locations would be an asset
– Chainsaw safety training would be an asset
– Enthusiasm for building (and using) high quality non-motorized trails
– Capable of completing physically demand work
– Capable of working in outdoor environments exposed to the elements
– Good at following direction and carrying out tasks
– Some knowledge of current accepted trail building practices and standards
– Some knowledge of safe working practices for remote locations
– Some knowledge of safe tool usage and maintenance
– Efficient time management skills
– Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team
Hi, Is there a minimum age requirement? And would you consider an applicant that is only available during the summer holidays? He is in high school. I understand it’s probably not doable, but even if you needed someone to fill in occasionally during that time he could be available. If there’s any chance, I’ll get him started on a resume. Or if you’d like to discuss let me know.
West Arm Silviculture inc