The Salmo Valley Trail Society is seeking a Trail Builder to be part of our paid trail crew for the fall of 2017.
This person will work under the direction of the Trail Construction Manager on a crew of 4 people to build high quality hiking and multi-use trails in and around the Salmo valley.
Trail Builders are employees of the SVTS and work under the direction of the Trail Construction Manager. Trail projects include new construction and reclamation of hiking and multi-use trails.
The ideal candidate for this position will be in excellent physical condition; have previous experience hand building trails; first aid training; some Chainsaw safety training; and previous experience working in remote wilderness locations.
This is a short term position of 7-8 weeks starting September 5th . Schedule will be primarily full time work (40 hours a week) with a wage of $14-17/hour depending on experience. Current schedule is 10-hour work days Monday thru Thursday. Mileage rates will be provided for personal vehicle use to access project sites.
To apply email a resume to Randyboardman@hotmail.com .
Application closes Aug 30 st at 4pm.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
– Hand building multi-use and hiking trails using accepted current practices and standards
– Chainsaw and brush saw clearing
– Digging and picking trail bed surface
– Building corners and retaining walls from natural materials
– Building bridges
– Trail surface finishing
– Follow safe working practices and keep a safe working environment
– OFA Level 1 First Aid
– Some trail building experience preferred
– Previous experience working in wilderness locations would be an asset
– Chainsaw safety training would be an asset
– Enthusiasm for building (and using) high quality non-motorized trails
– Capable of completing physically demand work
– Capable of working in outdoor environments exposed to the elements
– Good at following direction and carrying out tasks
– Some knowledge of current accepted trail building practices and standards
– Some knowledge of safe working practices for remote locations
– Some knowledge of safe tool usage and maintenance
– Efficient time management skills
– Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team